Myths About Bed Bugs
Myths about bed bugs and why as a landlord who is renting out homes or apartments in Redding, it can be incredibly beneficial for you to gain knowledge on bed bugs so that you can not only do your best to prevent an infestation in your rental homes or apartments but so that you can also be prepared and know what to do if your rental homes or apartments do become infested. According to pestworld.org, the top two of the top three places where pest professionals report finding bed bugs are apartments and single-family homes.
This commonly happens when tenants move in second-hand furniture that has been infested without their knowledge, and those bed bugs then transfer themselves to the rental home or apartment. With that being said, it is vital that landlords know how they can best prevent this situation and also prepare for this situation if it does occur. To best prepare you when it comes to bed bugs, we as property managers would like to lay out some of the most common myths that have been put out there.
Here are a few myths about bed bugs:
- Myth – They only come out at night to feed. Bed bugs are most commonly found in beds because they feed on people when they are resting. And because nighttime is the designated time people usually rest their bodies for long periods of time, bed bugs usually come out at night. However, because bed bugs come out based on when people are resting and not what time it is, If you are resting during the day, they will come out.
- Myth – They can spread diseases. While it is known that bed bugs can carry diseases, it hasn’t been proven that they spread diseases to their hosts.
- Myth – They can’t be seen with the naked eye. If you look up bed bugs on Google, you will see that they are big enough for you to see them with your naked eye.
- Myth – They die when you place them outside in the winter. While bed bugs are not intolerant of cold weather, they can withstand the cold weather for weeks. That means that putting them outside in cold weather will not necessarily kill them.
- Myth – They always leave a huge welt where they bite. Bed bugs can have a different effect on each person. For some people, they get large welts. However, other people have been almost unaffected by them. It depends on the person.
- Myth – They are only found in beds. Because bed bugs are called “bed bugs,” it seems pretty normal for us to believe that they are only found in beds. However, bed bugs can be found in any place where people commonly rest. This includes couches, chairs, desks, etc.
- Myth – Over-the-counter treatments will get rid of them. While it might seem like the greatest option to research and try out different remedies to get rid of bed bugs on your own, it can potentially make things worse in most cases. If your rental home or apartment has bed bugs, the best thing you can do is hire a professional to get rid of them.
Now that you have gained some knowledge on bed bugs and how to best prevent them and prepare for if you do encounter them in your rental homes or apartments, you may be realizing that this is something you may need to take precaution towards as a landlord. And maybe that feels like a lot of work that you don’t want to put your time or energy into. If this is how you feel, the good news is that there are property managers who would be willing to take these critical tasks out of your hands!
Authority Property Management offers high-quality property management in Redding for those who rent out homes and apartments. We have over 20 combined years of experience in property management. We previously owned and operated the largest property management company in all of Shasta County. In 2014, we handled over a thousand rental units. We would often oversee up to 50-tenant move-ins and move-outs every month. We relieve the stress of landlords by putting our time and energy into the critical tasks that they do not want to stress over, and are focused on providing high-quality work in all that we do. If you are looking to find a property manager in Redding that you can trust, don’t hesitate to call Authority Property Management! 530-410-6085
Share this post with a friend!